Tuesday, July 17, 2012

this must be what hell feels like: juicing - day 1

After I watched the documentary "Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead", I knew I wanted to do a juice fast.  I felt motivated, inspired and excited after the film ended.  I went out and bought a juicer (like probably everyone else did after they saw that movie!) and I began juicing.  At the time I was pregnant and therefore could not do a juice fast.  I did incorporate juices into my diet and enjoyed it.  After my baby was born, I was nursing and could not do a juice fast.  I'm no longer nursing and figured now is as good a time as any to embark on a juice fast journey.  What is a juice fast?  It is basically drinking fruits and vegetables.  And no, this isn't Mott's apple juice or Ocean Spray, this is me pushing carrots and celery through tiny blades to extract the juice.  I figure this juice fast will "detox" my body, shock my little deteriorating cells, and (hopes of all hopes!) shed some unwanted pounds.

                                                        my ready-to-juice fridge contents



So, why am I sharing this with all of you?  Well, I figure you guys can keep me honest.  I'm assuming you're out there reading this, and maybe no one is, but if I *think* someone is then I'll hopefully stick with it. 


my juicer and some remnants


Why do I need the support?  Because this sucks.  Today has been really hard.  I have been light headed, have had a headache and (shock horror!) am hungry.  Very hungry.  So hungry I wanted to steal the peas and cheese quesadilla off my daughter's high chair tray.  Thankfully, I'm nearing the end of day one.  What have I juiced today you ask?  Here's a list: apples, beets, pears, plums, peaches, blueberries, kiwis, celery, spinach, carrots, kale, ginger and lemon.  My morning juice tasted pretty good, now at almost 7:30pm I'm semi-struggling to drink this.  It doesn't taste bad necessarily, I'm just sick of drinking fruits and vegetables.  My treat can be hot water with lemon. Fun.  Around dinner time I hit rock bottom (yes, already) and called my husband.  I said something along the lines of: "I can't do this.  This sucks.  I hate this"... etc.  He reminded me that I really want this and talked me off the ledge.  So, I continue... drinking my nutrients, drinking water and peeing.  Peeing an awful lot.

Here's to 9 more days of hell.

2 comments:

  1. You can do it Nicole! I loved that documentary but I doubted whether I'd be able to do a juice fast fully... and now we're preggo (yay!) so, same as you before, now is not a good time for me to try. But I'm really interested to see your results and when you start feeling better!!! Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. jaden, congrats on your pregs! & thanks for the words of encouragement. here's hoping i survive. i'm anxious to see/feel results as well.

    i need to stop thinking of pizza.

    ReplyDelete